Congratulations! You’ve decided to change your floors, and you’re going to love it. That’s because nothing lends as much warmth and elegance to a home as solid wood. This flooring fits into any style decor.
It adds value as well; people will often jump at the chance to buy a home with hardwood floors.
What, though, does quality really mean? Yes, your choice of hardwood depends upon thickness, grade, and manufacturer, but it ultimately depends upon you, your lifestyle, how you take care of it, and your priorities. As with anything, how you take care of it will determine how long it lasts, (and that can be for decades).
The Floor Gallery, one of the top floor companies in the Sunnyvale area, gives their suggestions for getting the best flooring for you:
- Be sure to tell your flooring expert if you have kids, pets, heavy foot traffic. Even tell him or her about your choice of shoe. What?? Well, stiletto heels can cause dents, so avoid wearing them on hardwood. Even the best flooring can dent and scratch from them.
- What’s your style preference? Dark floors tend to look a little more traditional, while light floors are airy and youthful. Medium shows off those quirky knots and raised grains. What about textures? Do you want something like wire-brushed or hand-scraped?
- Be thorough in your budget. Don’t just look at the initial purchase price, but include services such as installation. Then, once you’re clear on that, buy the very best you can afford.
- Assess your priorities. While it all is tough, some woods, especially exotics, are very hard. How do you feel about cleaning? While hardwood is pretty easy to care for, it does require sweeping or vacuuming at least a couple of times a week. Also, remember, water damages solid wood, so steer clear of installing this flooring in any room with high moisture (like the bath or laundry room) or that may be prone to leaks.
- What kind of finish and stains do you want? Be sure to ask about your choices.
For more information, feel free to come into the Floor Gallery showroom in Sunnyvale, CA.